Casey's first Thanksgiving turned out to be quite an experience. Upon arriving at Aunt Berta's house, we got a flat tire. Every man in attendance had a role in the tire change, like a poorly orchestrated pit crew. After an otherwise enjoyable day, we departed in the late evening with a false sense of security in the spare tire. After about 20 miles, I noticed that the VSA light was flashing. I found it odd, but attributed it to the spare causing the system to malfunction. I was quickly reassured by the thumping sound of a flat tire that the system was indeed functioning as designed. We pulled off the (Garden State) Parkway to discover a blown spare. I called Acura Roadside Assistance - who needs AAA with all the money we paid for this fancy car? ARA can't tow from the GSP since it is a contracted road. I'm connected with the state police, who tell me a tow truck will be out within 30 minutes. Fortunately, we were the first of the southbound relatives to leave, so we weren't completely stranded. Oh, and the State Police stopped to make sure help was on the way before speeding off. The tow truck arrived at the same time as my parents, at which time I learned the tow would take me as far as the next exit, but not to worry, ARA can take me the rest of the way. WRONG. ARA will only tow you to the nearest dealer - makes sense, Acura should get paid for the repair in exchange for the free tow. Except that the nearest dealer to our location is a) not open at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving and b) is not convenient to our house. Plan b. Drive an hour home to retrieve *another* sparetire, an hour back to the car to change tires for the second time, and an hour back home. Nobody got hurt, things could have been much worse, but not exactly what we had in mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment